One of the best skincare secret weapons is sitting in your pantry…honey! Women have used it for years to keep their skin beautiful. There are easy and powerful ways to use honey as a skin treatment and I’m sharing my four favorites! But first, here is skinny on why honey is good for your skin.
- Honey can be used to treat acne and oily skin. Its anti-bacterial properties can draw out impurities, reduce redness and calm inflammation while keeping your skin naturally balanced.
- Honey is high in antioxidants and can prevent premature aging.
- When applied, honey can help keep the natural oils in your skin, which can increase elasticity.
- Honey is a natural humectant, which means that it can absorb and retain moisture to keep your skin hydrated.
- Honey is a rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids that heal and nourish the skin.
Honey Skin Treatments:
- Spot Treatment: Put a small amount of honey on to a cotton swab and dap it onto your blemish to help it clear up.
- Facial Masque for Acne: Mix together 3 teaspoons honey and ½ teaspoon cinnamon and apply to your face and neck. Leave on for 10 to 25 minutes. Rinse.
- Facial Masque for Aging or Dry skin: Mix together 1 ½ teaspoons honey, 1 teaspoon smashed avocado, 1 teaspoon plain organic whole milk yogurt and apply to your face and neck. Leave on for 15 to 25 minutes. Rinse.
- Honey Milk Bath: Add 1 can organic coconut milk and 1 cup honey (sometimes I use 2 cups) to running bath water and then coconut milk. Stir the water with your hand to mix it up. Soak for 15 minutes. Optional: add 5-10 drops of an essential oil. My favorite to add is Lavender.
Get out the honey and sweeten up your beauty routine!